- Infrequent bowel movements
- Irregular bowel movements
- Incomplete bowel movements
- Pain or straining during bowel movements
- Hard, dry stools
- Excessive gas or bloating
If your constipation, or your need for a laxative, lasts for more
than 7 days, or if you have nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain, you
should see your doctor to make sure it's not a sign of a more serious condition.
- American Gastroenterological Association.
Patient Center, Constipation. AGA Website.
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons.
Conditions/Patient Brochures, Constipation. ASCRS Website.
- National Institutes of Health. The National Digestive Diseases
Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). Constipation. NIH Publication No.
072754. July 2007.
Available at :