What Are Some Common Causes of Constipation1-3?
Some common cause of constipation include:
- Low fiber diet and dehydration
- Waiting too long or ignoring urge to have a bowel movement
- Lack of physical activity
- Eating and drinking too many dairy products
- Changes in life or routine caused by pregnancy, aging, travel
- General illnesses and various medications may also be
associated with constipation.
DO NOT stop taking any prescribed medications
unless approved to do so by your doctor.
- American Gastroenterological Association.
Patient Center, Constipation. AGA Website.
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons.
Conditions/Patient Brochures, Constipation. ASCRS Website.
- National Institutes of Health. The National Digestive Diseases
Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). Constipation. NIH Publication No.
072754. July 2007.